I was recently posting almost 20 pictures of the Facebook Security Check(sounds like the airport check when you go through security, right?) – and now I realized one thing:
Facebook Doesn’t Like Small Business Fan pages!
I mean, of course Facebook LOVES fan pages – especially the TOP inventive business pages, with lots of interactivity and fans, facebook specially designed pages and forms, videos and all kinds of polls and competitions, etc. And the businesses that are in the top – with much interactivity and high traction to the public – are very much appreciated, to the point that many of them don’t recommend people to visit their website anymore but visit their Facebook Fan Page! Here are such amazingly creative and highly respected fan pages of top businesses on Facebook(via the Social Media Examiner, top 10 facebook pages):
- Red Bull Facebook Fan Page – The team behind the Red Bull page is extremely in tune with their target audience. This is evidenced in their custom apps and unique content throughout their page.
- Coca-Cola Facebook Fan Page - Coca-Cola has secured their spot at the top of many best-of-the-best Facebook page lists due to their innovative promotions and fun, interactive features;
- Oreo Facebook Fan Page - Oreo does a fantastic job of creating unique experiences for their fans. Oreo knows that their cookies have been part of many people’s lives since childhood and they use this angle to create nostalgia with their fans. And it’s working for them because they have over 8 million fans to date!
- Burt’s Bees Facebook Fan Page – One of the best features on the Burt’s Bees page is their use of photos and video. They use the photos and videos to give a behind-the-scenes view of their company and products.
- Uno Chicago Grill Facebook Fan Page – Uno Chicago Grill has taken full advantage of the Facebook app FBML to highlight their menu options in an extremely appealing way.
- LiveScribe Facebook Fan Page – LiveScribe has incorporated two features into their page to help them sell more products and cut back on support calls
- Toy Story 3 Facebook Fan Page – Toy Story 3 has done an exceptional job of making their page both fun and functional. The fun factor is expressed in their new application, Toy Creator, where you can turn yourself into an animated toy. Both kids and adults can get in on the action and then share their new creation on their Facebook wall
So why do I say that Facebook Doesn’t like the Small Business Fan Pages? Well… if you’re BIG, you’re doing fine, and you’re an established brand, everyone knows you, etc. Guess what, Facebook even recommends the big brands to others, whether they like them or not, as “your friend so-and-so likes this brand page”… – but they NEVER do this with the small business pages!
There’s this page I help taking care of – Sparks Direct Electrical – with under 100 fans, and every time I add a link there I get the Facebook Security Check! Of course, I also help take care of pages with >4.500 fans and NEVER do I have to put in a Facebook Security Check when I add a link there! It can get annoying, you know… so Facebook loves BIG BRANDS, but the small little business fan pages they just marginalize and make it difficult to promote, update, and maintain…
More Facebook Security Check for the past 3 days – Facebook hates Small business Fan Pages